When you don't require automobile insurance


If they ride own a car, you are required by law to have at least third-party motor insurance. If you leave your car parked on the road, in-home yard, or in your garage, you must have insurance.

Using the Motor Insurance Database, the police can check if your car is insured on the scene. If it isn't, they can seize it right away, even if you later arrange insurance on the side of the road. 

To get your vehicle returned, you'll need to provide proof of insurance and pay fees. 

If you don't, the police will be able to seize your vehicle after 14 days. You can get money back from the sale if they sell it.

However, there are times when it is legal for you to do so.

The automobile is uninsured. 

This page explains why you don't need motor insurance in some scenarios.

If you don't have car insurance, it's because:

. you have a current Statutory Off-Road Notification (SORN)

. since before February 1, 1998, your car has been kept off a public road.

. you have given notice that your car has been scrapped, stolen, or exported.

. Your vehicle is being held in stock by an authorized dealer or is in between dealers.

If your car looks to be uninsured, the Vehicle Insurers' Agency will send you a letter advising you to cover it or double whether your insurance provider has submitted the right information into their database. If you have insurance, contact your provider at

You will receive a Permanent Penalty Notices if you do no insure your car, and if you do not insure it, it may be seized, clamped, or destroyed, or you may be taken back to court.

Enregistrer un commentaire

Plus récente Plus ancienne